School Closure Policy
The School Closure Policy in times of inclement weather and hazardous conditions has the safety of all members of the school community as its main purpose. The school takes the responsibility for the safety and welfare of pupils and staff very seriously. When making any decision to close the school a number of factors have to be taken into consideration.
- Road access for emergency vehicles.
- Safety of the school site and car park.
- Ability of enough staff (to meet required levels of staff:pupil ratios) to get to work without putting themselves at risk.
- Ability of pupils and parents to get to school without putting themselves at risk.
- Advice from the local authority.
- Advice from the emergency services.
In the event of a school closure due to inclement weather conditions or other emergency, the school will take the following action:
- The Executive Head in consultation with the Head of School, takes responsibility for any decision to close the school - where possible the decision to close will be made by 7.30am on the morning of closure, or maybe the night before depending on conditions.
- The Executive Head will consult appropriate staff at Christ Church School and with other local Headteachers before making an informed decision to close the school. All staff will then be notified that the school is closed.
- The Executive Head will use email & text messaging via ParentMail to inform the parents of the school closure where possible.
- Arrangements for severe weather may include later start times after 8.40am and/or early finishes before 3.15pm, depending on guidance from weather forecasts and local conditions.
Parents must allow time for the message system to filter through before making additional phone calls or setting off for school.
Please remember that any calls made to the school office number may not be answered due to staff not being able to get into school. An answer phone service is provided for 'out of hours' calls.
Any decision to close the school is a serious one and not taken lightly. The school will stay open if it is safe and possible to do so.